Protein is a micronutrients which yields the amino acids upon hydrolysis.
Micronutrients : proteins, fats and Carbohydrates.
Properties of Protein :
- Molecular weight mixed polymer of a amino acids together with peptide linkage.
- Chain of amino acids joined by peptide bond in a specific sequence.
- Organic compound Contain C, H, O and P, S. Mixed polymer of amino acid.
- Joined together by peptide bond.
- These are found in animal products those always present in Sources, such as nuts and legumes.
- Fundamental basis of structures and function of life.
- 4 calories present in a each gram of protein.
- Proteins makes a weight 15% of human body. It is composed of amino acids.
- Amino acids are organic compounds made up of carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen or sulfur.
- Proteins makes a weight 15% of human body.
Structure of Protein :
Depends upon the spatial arrangement of polypeptide chains.
There are three arrangements are possible.
Primary structure of Protein :
- Linear sequence of amino acids a peptide or protein.
- Primary structure starting with amino – acids terminal(N). And end with carboxy-terminal(C).
- With the help of DNA sequences protein structure can be directly sequenced or inferred.
Secondary structure of Protein :
- It is defined by peptide chains may acquire in spiral shape or may be present in zig-zag manner.
- Coiling of peptide chains is called the secondary structure of proteins.
- Secondary structure formed by hydrogen bonding.
Tertiary structure of Protein :
- It is the three dimensional structure of protein.
- Twisting and folding of polypeptide chains represents tertiary structure of protein.
Quaternary structure of Protein :
- It is the arrangements of multiple folded protein molecules in a multi-subunit complex.
- Variety of bonding interactions including hydrogen bonding, salts bridges and disulfide bonds. These bonds holds the various chain into a particular geometry.